Monday, 17 November 2008

Freezing Pumpkin

We made it home for one day this week; hopefully we will get back for one more. However, we are still back in Cambridge cleaning and painting for the most part, and when we are here, we still have a pile of work to do which precluded my doing any cooking to speak of, never mind writing about it.


However, I bought one little pie pumpkin right after halloween, and was given three others, so I spent this evening pureeing them to be frozen. First I cut a lid in each one, and removed all the seeds and loose stringy bits. The stringy bits were discarded; the seeds were washed and tossed in salt and spices then roasted at 350°F until lightly browned and crunchy. I also roasted the pumpkins at 350°F, until the largest were soft through.



Once they were cooled, they were peeled and puréed.



Then I packed them into tubs to be frozen.

If I had had time, I would have preferred to cook the pumpkin in batches in a large cast-iron skillet, stirring frequently, until thick and very slightly caramelized. This would have reduced my total quantity of pumpkin, but it would have been better quality. Howver, if I have time, I can still do it on the other end.

And that's probably it for this week... now it's back to the salt mines.

2 comments:

Jen's Alter Ego said...

Sounds lovely! I have a question, though:

"If I had had time, I would have preferred to cook the pumpkin in batches in a large cast-iron skillet, stirring frequently, until thick and very slightly caramelized."

Do you mean the roasted pumpkin? Or raw chunks of pumpkin? The only way I can see this working is if you cooked and then pureed the pumpkin and THEN cooked it in the cast iron pan.

Share your secret! I am a lover of all things caramelized.

Ferdzy said...

Hi Jen's Alter Ego;

Sorry! Yes, I meant that after the pumpkin has been pureed, it should be cooked in a heavy skillet. I actually wrote about this techique before, in a more coherent manner, here:

http://seasonalontariofood.blogspot.com/2007/10/pumpkin-loaf.html