Friday, 17 October 2008

Raw Beets with Sour Cream

I was invited out to lunch at a friends house late in the summer, and one of the things she served that it had never before occurred to me to eat was raw beets. They're actually very good! Slightly sweet, moist and crunchy. The yellow ones, and the striped chioggia are the best. The regular dark red ones are a bit too strong for my taste, although they are not bad. Pass them with a little sour cream to dip them in. Yum!

2-4 servings
15 minutes prep time

Raw Beets with Sour Cream and Chive Dip
1/2 cup sour cream
1 or 2 tablespoons minced chives
salt and pepper

2-3 medium beets, preferably golden or chioggia
a few greens to put them on, if you like

Mix the sour cream with the chives, and season with a little salt and pepper.

Wash the beets. Trim off the root and stem ends, and any spots on the beets where the skin is tough, damaged, or sprouting roots. Cut the beets in half then slice them into thin slices or wedges. Arrange them nicely on a plate, on top of a few salady greens if you like, with the sour cream as a dip.

Last year at this time I made Buttermilk & Herb Salad Dressing.


Sandra said...

I am interested in finding golden beets. I just recently had them for the first time and I love them. This was in Vancouver last week. Any ideas on where I could purchase them in Belleville, Ontario?

Ferdzy said...

No, I'm sorry, I'm in the other end of Ontario and am not familiar with Belleville. However, they are more common than they used to be and if you look and ask around I'm sure you will be able to find some. Farmers markets are a good bet, but I've seen them in grocery chain stores too.