Thursday, 30 October 2008

Pie-Spiced Roast Butternut Squash

On my little trip to Quebec that I took on the weekend, I was served a pumpkin or squash soup that was spiced very similarly to a pumpkin pie. Hmm, I thought; why have I never done this? (I think because I was afraid it would be too sweet, too obvious.) To my surprise, I really liked it. The echo was there, but it wasn't like eating liquid pie at all, so I tried applying the same principals to my favourite roast squash. Yep, that works. A little coriander and pepper keeps the parallels from being too obvious.

4 servings
1 hour - 15 minutes prep time

Pie-Spiced Roast Butternut Squash
Spice Mixture:
2 teaspoons coriander seed, ground
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns, ground
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Grind the coriander seeds and pepper. Grate the nutmeg. Mix everything listed above, and set aside.

To Roast the Squash:
1/2 of a large butternut squash (600 to 800 grams; 1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
2 or 3 tablespoons sunflower seed oil

Preheat the oven to 400°F. (Can also be done as low as 350°F, for a little longer.) Peel and deseed the squash as described in this recipe, and cut it up the same way as well. Put the oil in a large, shallow baking pan and toss the peeled slices of squash in it. Sprinkle the squash evenly with about 2/3 of the spice mixture, and toss them again. Sprinkle over the remaining spice mixture.

Bake the squash for 20 minutes. Give it a stir, then bake for a further 20 minutes (or 30 at the cooler temperature.)

Last year at this time I made Mixed Apple Pie. I don't check what I made last year until I post the days' recipe, so I'm always amused to see what kind of echos there are from last year.


Green Grrl said...

Made this today. It was delicious! Cut my squash into slightly smaller pieces and then put the roasted pieces on an arugula and fennel salad. yum. yum. yum. :-)

Ferdzy said...

Glad to hear it, green grrl. It does sound good.