Wednesday, 22 October 2008

Gingerbread Pear Pudding

The honey adds a subtle flavour to gingerbread, and the pears on the bottom turn it into a pudding. I served it with a little leftover custard that I had made to go with applesauce.

6 servings
1 hour - 20 minutes prep time

Gingerbread Pear Pudding
The baked pudding above, and the pudding served with custard, below.


Gingerbread Pear Pudding
1 cup soft unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger

3 large ripe pears

1/4 cup sunflower seed oil
1/4 cup Sucanat or dark brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup water

1 teaspoon apple-cider vinegar
1 extra-large egg

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix the flour, baking soda, salt and spices, and set them aside.

Wash, peel and core the pears. Slice them and arrange them in a shallow 2 or 2.5 quart casserole or glass 8" x 11" baking pan.

Put the oil, Sucanat, honey and water into a pot, and heat gently, stirring constantly, until the honey and Sucanat are melted. Let cool, then add the vinegar and beat in the egg.

Dump the flour mixture into the pan, and mix well. When you have a smooth, thin batter, pour it over the prepared pears, making sure it is evenly distributed. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until it passes the old toothpick test. Serve warm or at room temperature.




Last year at this time it was Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup, and also Quince Jelly & Jam (Paste).

9 comments:

Hungry Gal said...

Oh holy delicious!

This looks amazing. I am going to try this recipe this weekend and I'll report back!

mykindofood.blogspot.com

Ferdzy said...

I hope you enjoy it! I'm looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

nefaeria said...

That looks very yummy! And I love the bowls :)

Ferdzy said...

Yeah, I really like those bowls too. I could have a ridiculously large dish collection if I let myself, so I try not to, but I had to have those.

Donwatcher said...

OK, so I tried this recipe. I only have a 8"x8" baking dish so I only needed about 2.5 large pears. However, the mixture amount barely covered the pears in the smaller dish so I am wondering what it is like in the larger dish. Also the pears stayed pretty much whole, ie. they didn't become a puddingish mush. Does it matter what type of pear you use?

Ferdzy said...

Hi Donwatcher!

Yes, if you want mushy pears you should probably use fairly ripe Bartletts. Bosc pears will stay firm. I don't know what something like Flemish Beauty would do.

It does seem like a very skimpy amount of batter, doesn't it? But I found it expanded nicely. Wasn't a very deep cake/pudding, but it did fill in the dish.

I did debate whether to call this a cake or a pudding; it seems sort of borderline.

mysweetestday said...

mmm that looks great! ive never had pear with gingerbread before but it sounds like an interesting combination!

Bree said...

Great way to use up pears that are too ripe to eat. I used one good pear and two that were just a mushy mess but the end result tasted fantastic. Add a little vanilla bean ice cream on the side while it's warm and it's heavenly!

Ferdzy said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, Bree!