Monday, 27 October 2008

Broccoli, Cauliflower & Lentil Salad

We had this salad a few days ago, but I did not have time to post it before I went off to Quebec for a family event. It looks like there are all kinds of great food things going on in eastern Ontario, but alas, I did not have time to investigate. Maybe next summer I will be able to get out there and get a taste of what's happening. Meanwhile, I think I may make this salad again. It was very tasty and I have eaten a bit too much rich food. I always figure broccoli and lentils are the antidote to that! You can feel them doing you good with every bite you take.

2 to 6 servings
1 hour - 20 minutes prep time

Broccoli Cauliflower and Lentil Salad
Salad:
1 1/2 cups brown or green lentils
salt
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 large carrot
100 grams (1/4 pound) feta cheese

Cook the lentils until tender in 2 3/4 cups of water, with a pinch of salt. I use my rice cooker for this. When they are done let them cool, or rinse them in cold water and drain well.

Meanwhile, make the dressing. (See below.)

Cut the broccoli and cauliflower into fairly small florets. Steam them until just barely tender, about 5 minutes. Rinse them in cold water to cool them, and drain well. Meanwhile, peel and grate the carrot. Mix the lentils, broccoli, cauliflower and carrot. Crumble the feta cheese and mix it into the salad. Toss with the dressing. This can be done in advance, although next-day leftovers may be a little soggy.

Dressing:
1/4 cup sunflower seed oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspon rubbed oregano

Whisk or shake together the above ingredients.




Last year at this time, it was too much rich food too: I made Cocoa Brownies and Nut Butter Brownies.

No comments: