Saturday, 9 August 2008

Turkish Zucchini Pancakes (Mucver)

Damn, we loved these little darlings. Lordy, but they were good. I'd seen variations of the recipe around a few places in the last few years and I'm so sorry I didn't try them until now.

I made them bigger than they are supposed to be - I only got 7 - but they worked fine. It was what we ate for supper, so it's not like it mattered how many there were. However, I think they are generally supposed to be an appetizer type thing, in which case making them smaller would be a good thing. Although I highly recommend just making a heap of them and chowing down. Did I mention that they're really good?

I want to try these with chick pea flour, which would allow me to serve them to my friends with wheat allergies. I think they might be a little heavier, but I think it would work. If anyone tries this, please let me know!

14 pancakes
45 minutes - all spent working, sorry

Mucver Turkish Zucchini Pancakes
450 grams (1 pound) zucchini (1 large or 2 medium)
2 to 4 green onions, minced
1/3 cup minced fresh dillweed
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
2 tablespoons minced fresh basil and/or mint
salt and pepper
4 extra-large eggs
1/2 cup soft unbleached flour
150 grams feta cheese
1/4 cup sunflower seed oil

Wash and grate the zucchini. Put it in a colander in layers, sprinkling salt between each layer. Set it aside to drain as you prepare the remaining ingredients.

Wash, trim and mince the green onions, the dill, parsley, basil and/or mint. Put them in a large mixing bowl, and season with the salt and pepper. Beat in the eggs.

Rinse the zucchini and drain well. Then, take it by handfuls and squeeze it thoroughly, into a little ball, being sure to get out as much moisture as possible. Once each handful of zucchini is squeezed dry, add it to the herbs and eggs. It is really important to do this; they will cook much more quickly and evenly. When the zucchini is all in, mix in the flour and the feta cheese, crumbled.

The batter can be made ahead, kept refrigerated and covered until wanted (the same day.)

Heat the oil in a large skillet, or better, 2 large skillets, over medium heat. Preheat the oven to 300°F. Use a 1/4 cup* measuring spoon to scoop out the batter. Place them in the hot oil, then press down to form neat 1/2" thick pancakes with the pancake lifter. They will cook fairly quickly, about 5 minutes per side. They should be a good dark golden brown. As they cook, put them on a plate padded with paper towel in the oven to keep warm. Serve them hot, with yogurt or light sour cream with garlic mixed into it if you like.


* I used a half cup measuring spoon, which is why I got seven.



Last year at this time, I made Chicken Stuffed with Basil, Dried Tomatoes & Goat Cheese.

2 comments:

Bellini Valli said...

Give me feta and I am in with these pancakes. Off to the farmers market tomorrow so I'm sure there will be zucchini's there:D

ziabaki said...

Wow, I'm going to try these tonight! I tend to lighten things up a bit so I might try them with two eggs and two egg whites, and maybe 2 T of oil and a non stick pan. What is the creamy sauce that you used with them? Maybe a yogurt tzatziki sauce? Yum, I'm drooling already. Come check me out at http://danazia.wordpress.com/
Thanks
Dana Zia