Saturday, 30 August 2008

Herbed Cream Cheese Spread or Dip

I really enjoy this flavoured cheese spread. Do watch the garlic; it will get stronger as the cheese sits so if you think it will not all get eaten within a day, you may wish to cut it back a little. In my experience though, this cheese disappears frighteningly quickly.

2 cups spread; up to 3 cups dip
15 minutes
prep time - 1 to 24 hours chill time

Herbed Cream Cheese
2 cups light cream cheese
OR 1 cup cream cheese and 1 cup ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon cumin seed, ground
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
3 green onions, minced
1 - 2 tablespoons parsley, finely minced

buttermilk, yogurt or sour cream

Grind the cumin and black pepper, and mix them with the cheese(s), along with the cayenne and salt. Mince the garlic, green onions and parsley, and mix them in as well. Thin the cheese with a little buttermilk, yogurt or sour cream, until it reaches the consistency you like; either as a spread or a dip.

Chill the cheese spread or dip. It is not a bad idea to make it 12 to 24 hours in advance, in order to allow the flavours to blend. The prepared cheese should keep, well sealed in the fridge, for up to a week.





Last year on this date I made Chickpeas (Garbanzos) with Greens & Tomatoes, Greek Style and Fingerling Potato Salad.

4 comments:

Bellini Valli said...

I love these kind of fresh homemade dips:D

Haley said...

We would like to feature your dip recipe on our blog. Please email haleyglasco@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

Haley

blog.keyingredient.com/

ChristinE said...

What part of Georgian Bay do you live on? I also am on this great bay, in Midland!
I like your blog and will keep reading all previous posts.

cheers

Ferdzy said...

Hi Christine;

I'm in Meaford. I was able to visit Midland and Penetanguishene last summer and really enjoyed the area. I'm looking forward to exploring the area more.

Thanks for your interest in my blog. I really do appreciate it.