Friday, 29 August 2008

Almond Jelly with Peaches & Cream

Almond jelly is one of my favourite dim sum dishes. It's usually (around here at least) a dish of almond jelly squares with tinned fruit salad and condensed milk. I don't quite know why I love it so much given I don't usually like tinned stuff all that much. I guess because it's such a great finish to a meal of rich, greasy starchy stuff.

When I make it at home, I take it back closer to it's British roots (I'm certain it has some) by using real cream and fresh peaches. It's a lovely cool and refreshing dessert, and not at all heavy. Great for hot August days, if we were in fact having any.

4 servings
10 minutes prep time - 4 hours or more chill time

Almond Jelly with Peaches and Cream
2 cups milk, soy milk or rice milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon gelatine
1/4 cup honey
the zest of 1/2 lemon

4 large ripe peaches
1/4 to 1/3 cup light cream

Put 1/2 cup of the milk in the dish in which the jelly will be made. Add the almond extract and sprinkle the gelatine over it.

Put the remaining milk in a pot with the honey and lemon zest. Heat slowly until the honey is dissolved and the milk is steaming. Stir occasionally.

Strain the hot milk into the dish with the cold milk and gelatine. Stir well, to be sure the gelatine is completely dissolved. Chill the mixture until it is set, at least 4 hours.

Cut the gelatine into cubes, and put it in individual serving dishes. Top each dish with a peach, cut into slices, and a generous tablespoon of cream.

Last year at this time, I made Caesar Salad.

No comments: