Tuesday, 22 July 2008

Maple Pudding

The final jar of cherries from last year met their end here, and a happy end it was. The tart, zingy cherries were a great foil to the smooth, sweet pudding. If you haven't got any canned cherries, I suggest sprinkling the pudding with fresh berries; raspberries being the ones that come to mind in particular. And of course, there's always whipped cream.

Use the darkest, lowest grade maple syrup you can find for this pudding. In fact, that's the grade you want in general for cooking and baking. It's the only one with a flavour strong enough to be diluted and mixed with other flavours and still come through. It can be damn hard to find though, I'm afraid. When you do find it, you should stock up.

4 servings
15 minutes

Maple Pudding with Canned Sour Cherries
4 tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch
2 cups milk or soymilk
pinch of salt
1/2 cup dark maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Put the arrowroot or cornstarch into a heavy-bottomed pot, or a microwaveable dish. Slowly stir in the cold milk or soymilk until the starch is completely blended in. Stir in the salt and maple syrup.

Cook the pudding over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Alternately, cook it for 3 minutes on high in the microwave, then stir it. Continue cooking it for a minute or two, stirring each time, until thickened.

Once the pudding is thick, stir in the vanilla extract. Let cool and chill, in a large bowl or individual serving dishes if prefered.


Cynthia said...

Hmmm, I am licking my spoon and humming happily.

Kevin said...

Maple pudding sounds great!

My View from the Top of the Food Chain said...

Oh this is good! I have tons of maple syrup, any grade I want - my in laws make the syrup by the gallon that's why. They are all too happy to give away the darkest kind. I am trying this, since I landed here by googling maple pudding. Thank you so so much.

Muriel OK said...

Just made up a batch. New England maple syrup and Oklahoma milk. It's what's for dinner. Thanks

Christine P. said...

I just found this doing a Google Search. It was wonderful and so simple to make. Thank you!

Ferdzy said...

Muriel and Christine; I'm so happy to hear you liked it. Thanks for commenting.