Friday, 25 July 2008

Fried Cauliflower, Mexican Style

A dish I remember from my childhood! It makes a great appetizer, and that's a good way to get it to the table in a timely manner. It would also make a good vegetarian main course, served with some rice and beans and green salad.

The cauliflower can be boiled in advance, but the final frying needs to happen right before it is to be served.

2 to 3 servings
25 minutes - 10 minutes prep

Fried Cauliflower Mexican Style
1/2 of a small cauliflower, about 3 cups when broken into florets

1 extra-large egg
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or savory
pinch of sea salt
black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon flour

1/2 cup plain vegetable oil for frying

Trim the cauliflower and cut it in slices, or large florets. If the florets are too large to lie in a frying pan nicely, cut them in half. Boil the cauliflower in salted water until just barely tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and let cool. You can use leftover cauliflower, but it should not be chilled - bring it up to room temperature before proceeding.

Beat the egg with the seasonings and the flour. Be sure all the lumps are out of the flour. Put the oil in a large skillet and heat over medium heat. While the oil is heating, soak the cauliflower pieces in the egg mixture, turning them to cover them on all sides. Lay them in the hot oil and cook until browned on all sides, turning them as necessary. Pour any remaining egg mixture over them as they cook. They will be cooked in about 5 minutes.

Remove the cauliflower pieces from the oil and drain them on paper towel. Serve hot.

Last year at this time, I made Spaghetti with Pea and Garlic Scape Pesto with Mint, and Not Exactly Graham Crackers.


michelle. said...

I like to make this will panko the japanese style bread crumbs!

Quality and Materials said...

Hi! I was cruising around the net trying to find a recipe similar to the one a dear old friend from Veracruz used to make. I think this may come close. I am charmed by your blog, and have added it to my favorites! I am very curious, how come you live in Ontario and this recipe is in your history? I am going to be "camp cook" (there are some ill-equiped kitchens) for a Sierra club trip in a couple of weeks and am looking for recipes that fit gracefully with my Mexican food menu. I like the panko comment as I have one gluten intolerant guest. muchisimas gracias! Pat

Ferdzy said...

Hi Pat:

When I was very small, my parents went to Mexico for 2 years as they got their masters degrees in San Miguel de Allende. Hence my exposure/interest in Mexican food. Otherwise, Ontario has always been home.

I hope this recipe works well for you! Just as a note panko crumbs are NOT GLUTEN FREE. You will do better to take a little rice or bean flour to use instead of the regular flour. That should work fine. And remember, it never hurts to test out recipes you have never made at home, first!

De nada! Ferdzy