Saturday, 12 July 2008

Faintly Terrifying

The Back of the House
What you see in the picture above is a small - a very small - part of the backyard of our new house. Yes, we bought the farm.

Okay, it's not really a farm; it's only about 9 acres. Also, and this is important, it's our first purchase of property that isn't an "income property." By definition then, it's what they call an "outgo property." Hence the faint terror.

We're also wildly excited, of course. We are spending lots of time with cockamamie fantasies about just what we are going to do with All That Land. There was a mighty big veggie garden, that we plan to restore. There are a number of fruit trees, new and old, to be pruned and fussed over, as well as increased in number. There are flower beds to be weeded and expanded. Heck, I could have a garden dedicated completely to shrubs if I wanted, and I might. I am busy researching poultry, particularly geese to be used as weeders. The Sweetie is busy researching windmills. In short, we're absolutely bug-nuts crazy out of our minds. We're also going to move, sometime early in September most likely. If I seem a little distracted this summer, that would be why.

I'm looking forward to blogging about our attempts to grow some really, really local food. I'd rather do that than weed, I know that already.


Peter M said...

Congrats Ferdzy and it's in keeping with your blog's mandate..Seasonal Ontario Food.

I also think you should think about setting up a greenhouse.

Ferdzy said...

Thanks Peter!

Actually, you can't really see it in this photo, but there is a small greenhouse on the property. It's a little seed-starting one, not an all-year production greenhouse, but we will have one.

SherGibson said...

That's the best news I've heard in a very long time. You are living the dream!
I can't wait to buy fresh seasonal and delicious produce from your farmgate!
That is if you don't use it all for yourself =) (you never know - it could be income producing!)

Yeah for you (and your sweetie)!

Ferdzy said...

Thanks, Sher! You never know!