Thursday, 24 July 2008

Almond-Orange Tart with Sweet Cherries

This gets two pictures, because it is just so damn good. I tend to make it just once a year, but it's a tradition and a landmark. I don't do much cooking with sweet cherries; the perfect sweet cherry recipe is to sit out on a shady porch on a sunny day, start popping them in, and spit the pits over the railing. If you can't do that, you can try this instead.

I think it would work well with other fruit; peaches, apricots or plums, raspberries, blueberries; they'd all be good. I haven't tried making this with brown rice flour instead of wheat flour, but I suspect it would be a good candidate for that change, if necessary.

In the past I have always pitted cherries before cooking with them. I have finally rebelled. It occurs to me that I want to spend less time cooking and more time eating - we are both notorious bolters - and that leaving the pits in would help achieve this aim. So far, so good. Just warn people, and I wouldn't leave them in if the tart is to be eaten by very small children.

6 to 8 servings
1 hour - 20 minutes prep time

Almond Orange Tart with Sweet Cherries
You need one of those big, shallow tart pans with a removable bottom, 11" across.

Almond Orange Tart with Sweet Cherries
1 cup finely ground almonds
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup soft pastry flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest

2 extra-large eggs
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
4 cups (450 grams, 1 pound) sweet cherries, pitted or not

Butter the bottom and sides of an 11" tart pan. Line the bottom with buttered parchment paper. The cherries should be washed and drained well, and the stems removed before you start. If you wish them to be pitted, you should do that too. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Mix the ground almond, sugar, flour, salt and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Wash the orange carefully, dry it, and grate in the orange zest.

Melt the butter, and set it aside.

In another little bowl, beat the eggs until well blended. Beat in the orange juice. When the butter is cooled enough that it won't cook the eggs, beat it in with them as well.

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Scrape the batter into the tart pan, and spread it evenly to the edges.

Scatter the cherries evenly over the batter, and press them down gently.

Bake the tart at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown and firm. Let cool before removing it from the pan.

Last year around now I made Dill Pickles by the Jar, Leeks & Spinach, and Broccoli Stem, Cabbage & Carrot Stir Fry.

1 comment:

Sam Mooney said...


I found your blog while I was googling the Goderich Farmers Market.

Great recipes. Thanks.

I'm also interested in eating locally produced food as much as possible. My blog - - seems to becoming more and more food focused.