Wednesday, 25 June 2008

Chicken & Pasta Salad with Peas

Since it was fairly cool this week, I did a little cooking in advance. This is something I often do during cool breaks during the summer. When it gets hot again, it's lovely to open the fridge and find you have cooked potatoes or barley, or chicken, or pasta, or beets, or eggs, or some such item for salad. I wouldn't do all of them at once, but one or two can seem like a miracle once it gets too hot to cook again. I do like a pasta salad. Since I roasted one of our Stone Meadow Farm chickens this cool rainy week, a salad like this was inevitable. It's also a contribution to Presto Pasta Nights, at Chew On That this week.

4 servings
20 minutes, presuming your chicken is cooked

Chicken and Pasta Salad with Peas
Salad:
250 grams (1/2 pound) stubby pasta

2 cups shelled peas (4 cups or 1 quart with the pods on)
8 to 10 radishes
2 or 3 green onions
2 cups diced cooked chicken

Cook the pasta in plenty of salted, boiling water until tender. I am inclined to give it a minute longer to cook than I would if I were eating it hot. When done, drain it and rinse it in cold water until cooled.

Meanwhile, shell the peas. Add them to the cooking pasta when it has 3 or 4 minutes left to cook.
Wash, trim and chop the radishes and green onions. Dice the cold cooked chicken.

Mix the pasta, peas, radishes, green onions and chicken in a large bowl.

Dressing:
1/2 cup mayonnaise - light is fine
1/2 cup buttermilk or yogurt
1 teaspoon savory
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, ground
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
a little smoked paprika, if you like

Whisk together the above ingredients and mix into the salad. Serve it as-is or on a bed of lettuce.




Last year on this date I blogged about Oatmeal Cooked in a Rice Cooker, Horseradish Potato Salad and Devilled Eggs with Smoked Paprika.

4 comments:

Hillary said...

Glad to see the dish posted and thanks for entering Presto Pasta Nights this week! Can't wait to post the roundup tomorrow!

Kevin said...

Great way to use the fresh peas!

Ruth Daniels said...

I am sooooo drooling over this one! Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Night. Definitely bookmarked!!!

Free to be me: Danielle said...

I made this for dinner last night!! I have an abundance of radishes (from my CSA)... and had no idea what to do with them. Really great way to use up radishes without them being the "star" :)

I cut out the chicken (don't eat meat)... and it made an amazing side dish!!!

LOVED it :)