Tuesday, 9 October 2007

Early Jersey Wakefield Cabbage

Early Jersey Wakefield Cabbage

According to Seedsavers Exchange, this cabbage was first grown in the U.S. in New Jersey in the 1840's. Hence the Jersey name; also it was a variety developed using "Wakefield" cabbage, then popular in England. The early part comes from the fact that it is a quick-maturing variety, ready to pick in about 2 1/2 months from transplanting.

I got this one at the Meaford Farmers' Market; I have previously read about them, but I haven't seen one before. Sources say that it's an excellently flavoured cabbage, but may become strong if grown in hot weather. Thus it is often grown as a spring or fall cabbage, although it is also said to store well. I say often; it's a well-known heirloom cabbage, but this is the first one I have seen. Mine was certainly delicious; tender, sweet, not overly strong but indubitably cabbage.

It is described as solid, but I believe these pyramidal cabbages are an intermediate form between the loose, leafing varieties and the head varieties, and won't be quite so solid as a head-forming cabbage.

No comments: