Wednesday, 5 September 2007

Harrow Beauty Peaches

Harrow Beauty Peaches
From the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs:

"Harrow Beauty
Ripens with Loring and Canadian Harmony but is more winter-hardy. The very firm, highly attractive, medium-sized fruit ships well. The rich yellow flesh has a red pigment around the pit cavity. Leaves and fruit have good resistance to bacterial spot and brown rot."

This is the first time I can remember seeing Harrow Beauty peaches, although they've obviously been around for a while. They are a smallish free-stone peach, with a slightly uneven shape and intense red colouring over golden flesh. The flavour is in line with the appearance, being rich, strongly acid but with good balancing sweetness, and intensely peachy. These are darn good. I wish I still had a food dryer; I would really like to try drying some of these. I also wish I had bought enough to make some jam. I love peaches and can eat them all day when they are in season, but I find the flavour can be too subtle for things like jam or dried fruit and for that I prefer apricots, but these have a bold, fine flavour that might actually hold up. Never mind; I shall enjoy these in the usual way: eaten over the sink with the juice running down my arm

No comments: