Tuesday, 4 September 2007

All-Blue Potatoes

All-Blue Potatoes, as the name suggests, are blue inside and outBlue is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. I look at these and I say they're purple. Whatever; they're pretty wonderful-looking, like vegetable geodes. They taste good too, but basically of potato. This potato gets around under a lot of different names; but in general the only other common blue (or purple) potato is the Purple Peruvian, which is longer and thinner - more of a fingerling potato. They are both rich in minerals, particularly iron. There's a rule of thumb that stronger coloured vegetables are more nutritious than paler ones, and potatoes are no exception.

Steam, bake, roast, fry or microwave these potatoes to keep as much colour as possible. When boiled, they fade to a still interesting lavender, although I'm told that putting a spoonful or two of vinegar in the water will help preserve the colour. I haven't tried it yet. I also don't bother to peel them; the skins are thin and part of the appealing intensity of colour.

These do tend to be small, thin skinned potatoes. They keep reasonably well, but perhaps not as well as bigger, thicker skinned potatoes, so look for them in the fall and early winter.



All Blue Potato on Foodista

4 comments:

Hillary said...

I've never seen blue potatoes! Thanks for putting up these pictures, now I can say I've seen them, haha...

oakling said...

I love the idea of vegetable geodes! Nice one :-D

Sarah C. said...

Gorgeous photo! Your potatoes are purple in color if not in name. This reminds me, I will have to do a posting on how all potatoes are Peruvian in origin. The Peruvian Purples are especially tasty in ceviche!

Ali said...

I planted a whole side of my potato garden in this kind, All Blue. I'm excited! Also planted fingerlings this year for the first time.