Friday, 24 August 2007

Chickpeas (Garbanzos) with Greens & Tomatoes, Greek Style

I found the original for this recipe here. It's become a staple in our household - good enough for company, fast and easy enough for weekday meals.

I make this almost all year round, using tinned tomatoes and whatever greens are available. For this batch, I used a bit of savoy cabbage and the rest of the beet-greens - probably about 6 cups prepared greens in total. Use an entire 540 ml (19 ounce) tin of tomatoes, if it's not tomato season. In that case, omit the salt and adjust at the end - there's quite a lot of salt already in the tinned tomatoes.

3 to 4 servings
25 minutes - 15 minutes prep time

Chickpeas (Garbanzos) with Greens & Tomatoes, Greek Style2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 540-ml (19 ounce) tin chick peas (garbanzos)
2 or 3 large tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon oregano

1 bunch spinach, chard, cabbage, kale or other greens (6 to 8 cups prepared)
the juice of 1 or 2 lemons, to taste

Peel and chop the onions and garlic. Prepare the spinach or other greens by washing, chopping and setting aside to drain. Rinse and drain the chickpeas.

Sauté the onions in the olive oil, in a large heavy-bottomed pot, until soft and translucent.

Stir in the minced garlic, and then in a minute or two add the chickpeas and tomatoes. Season with the chile, salt, paprika and oregano. Let simmer for about 5 minutes to allow the flavours to blend. Add a splash of water if it seems too dry.

Add the spinach, chard, kale or whatever you have, and cook until it is done to your liking. Add the lemon juice, tasting to see how much you would like. Unless they are small, I generally consider one lemon to be sufficient. Adjust the salt if necessary.

This can be served as originally suggested with bread and feta, but I like to serve it over steamed rice.

5 comments:

Kevin said...

This looks like an amazing salad. I would think that it would be hearty enough go as a main course.

PatL said...

Hi, Ferdzy, I found your blog as I was looking for recipes using chickpeas and greens. This looks quite tasty! I really appreciate your efforts to be a localvore, especially considering where you live!

I just posted another recipe that I found in Bon Appetit for Roasted Chickpeas with Garlic and Swiss Chard. It's very different from yours, but really tasty too. I like that your recipe uses tomatoes. It's going into my ToTry list!

Matt said...

I made this tonight and had to post here letting you know how great I think it is. I made a slightly different variation since I didn't have all the spices and didn't feel like buying them.

My ingredients:

1 tbs olive oil
1 chopped onion
2 large tomatoes
A couple leaves of basil
2 portobello mushroom caps
4 cloves garlic
1 bunch of spinach
1/2 a lemons juice
1 can of chickpeas

I added the portobellos with the onions in the beginning and I added a splash of vegetable broth instead of water. I didn't add salt so each bowl could be salted to taste. It was totally excellent. Thanks for the idea!

Kristen said...

I made this for my parents and they loved it.
I made it a second time and left out the onions and substituted red pepper and it was just as good.

I served it with Naan and couscous.
Great recipe!

Monique said...

This is excellent! I found this by doing a search on google, and was so excited, I can't wait to try other recipes. I have a lot of kale in my garden, tomatoes as well as basil, so it was a perfect match.