Wednesday, 4 July 2007

Strawberries with Maple Jellies

Well. This was highly experimental - the second time I have tried using agar-agar - and not entirely a roaring success. Not a roaring failure by any means, but it needs some work. The jellies were very firm, and I couldn't quite decide if I liked that or not. I did like the little bursts of maple flavour interspersed with the strawberries though, and I can see doing something like this with other flavours; mint for example, as a way to perk up fruit salads.

If anyone has more familiarity with agar-agar, I'd like some comments and suggestions.

4 servings
1 hour 15 minutes - 15 minutes prep time

Strawberries with Maple Agar-Agar JelliesMaple Jellies:
1/4 ounce (7 grams) agar-agar
1 cup water
pinch salt
1/2 cup maple syrup

4 cups (1 quart or 1 litre) strawberries

Put the agar, water, salt and maple syrup in a small pot and bring to a boil. Simmer hard for 5 minutes. Pour into a loaf pan or other mold and refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.

Wash, hull and cut the berries in half. Cut the jelly in small cubes, and mix with the berries. Serve with a dab of whipped cream, if desired.

No comments: