Monday, 18 June 2007

Rotini with Feta, Snap Peas & Tomato Sauce

This is a "Cook's night off" type of dish; in other words, I don't get a night off, but I was less engaged by the cooking process than I usually am. Of course I still expect to be engaged by the eating process! I was helped by the fact that this dish highlights the feta cheese very nicely, and I just tried a new-to-me feta from Shepherd Gourmet Dairy, made with sheeps milk. Lovely! I bought a kilo of it, and now I'm really looking forward to using it again.

2 or 3 servings
20 minutes

Rotini Pasta with Feta Cheese, Snap Peas and Tomato Saucex
250 grams rotini
1 large onion
300 grams snap-peas, cleaned and trimmed

200 grams feta cheese, cut in dice, rinsed and drained well
1/2 teaspoon rubbed dried basil
1/2 teaspoon rubbed dried oregano
1 19-ounce tin good but plain tomato sauce

Cook the rotini in a large pot of salted boiling water. Meanwhile, peel and chop the onion coarsely and clean and trim the peas.

When the pasta is about 5 minutes away from being done, add the onion and peas.

When the pasta and vegetables are tender, drain well and put in a serving dish. Quickly pour the tomato sauce into the now-empty pasta pot, and return it to the stove to heat through.

Sprinkle the basil and oregano over the pasta, and toss in the cubed feta cheese. As soon as the tomato sauce is hot, pour it over and about the pasta. Serve at once. Twice the amount of fresh herbs, if you had them, would probably be better.


Donwatcher said...

7 out of 10. It is an easy recipe although the feta was a little bland. Maybe it was the type I bought. Could you make this with firm tofu instead of feta?

Ferdzy said...

I guess you could, although if you thought the feta was bland...!

I do think this is so simple, it does require very good ingredients.