Sunday, 17 June 2007

Coconut Macaroons with Preserved Ginger

You will note that the recipe says they should be golden-brown - the picture as shown has them rather darker than they should be. That's because when the timer went off, I turned off the timer. Five or more minutes later, it occurred to me that I was also supposed to take the cookies out of the oven. However, even at a deep golden-brown, they were very tasty.

20 macaroons
1 hour - 20 minutes prep time

Coconut Macaroons with Preserved Ginger1 ½ cups shredded unsweetened coconut
1/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons brown rice flour
¼ teaspoon salt
2 egg-whites
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/3 cup minced preserved ginger

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.

Mix the coconut, sugar, and other dry ingredients. Mix in the egg-whites, almond extract and preserved ginger.

Let sit for 10-15 minutes. Scoop out macaroons with a melon-baller and place on the parchment paper.

Bake for 20 minutes, until firm and golden brown. Let cool. These will keep, well-sealed, for up to a week.


Donwatcher said...

I didn't know that Ontario coconuts were in season ;). I tried this recipe but misread the intructions. I used wax paper instead of parchment paper and found to my dismay that the macaroons were stuck to the paper when I took them out of the oven.

So I put them in the fridge for a couple of days. Fortunately the wax paper peeled off and I was able to eat them. Certainly a different taste. I'll have to try this one again, this time with parchment paper.

Ferdzy said...

Well, that's why they are being investigated by the House Committee on Un-Canadian activities!